Climate information for Black eyed bean Farming.
Black eyed beans require warm weather conditions for its growth. The ideal temperature should be between 20 to 30 degree Celsius. it requires an annual rainfall of 400 to 700 mm.
The crop is susceptible to frost and cannot grow well under shaded areas.
Soil required for Black eyed bean Farming.
Black eyed beans grow well on the loamy soils. The ideal pH of the soil should be between 5.5 to 6.5. It can also be grown in sandy to slightly heavy soils.
The crop is susceptible to salinity and alkalinity. Organic matter content should be high in the soil.
Recommended sowing dates for Black eyed bean Farming.
The crop can be planted in different seasons-
Kharif- sowing from June to July.
Rabi- from October to November. Ravi cultivation is mostly practiced in Southern parts of India.
Zaid- from April to May.
Land preparation for Black eyed bean Farming.
Deep ploughing in the field should be done followed by two to three times harrowing. Planking should be followed by harrowing to level the field. Mix farmyard manure at the rate of 15 to 20 tons per hectare in the field during land preparation to increase the organic matter content and soil fertility.
Sowing methods and tips for Black eyed bean Farming.
Black eyed beans can be sown by various methods such as broadcasting drilling and dibbling. The broadcasting method is usually practiced when the crop is cultivated for fodder purpose. In case of line sowing, the seeds are planted with the help of a seed drill at a spacing of 10 cm plant to plant distance and 30cm row to row distance. the depth of sowing should not be more than 2 to 4 cm.
Irrigation requirement for Black eyed bean Farming.
Black eyed beans are usually drought tolerant and do not require much water. The critical stages for water requirement are flowering and pod filling. During the summer season, the irrigation should be given after every 5-days interval. In the winter season, the duration of irrigation can be increased at an interval of 10 to 15 days. Irrigation by flooding or drip irrigation method is recommended. Avoid irrigation by sprinkler method as it may increase the chance of diseases spreading.
Fertilizer requirement for Black eyed bean Farming.
10 tons per hectare of farmyard manure is required during field preparation. The recommended dose of NPK is 20:60:60 kg per hectare. Nitrogen fertilizer dose is kept low because it is a pulse crop and can fix nitrogen by itself. Znso4 at the rate of 12 kg per hectare should be applied in the field. Also, apply 0.25-kilogram ammonium molybdate as a basal dose in the field.
Planting material required-
The seed rate required varies depending on the purpose for which crop is sown.
For fodder purpose- 30-34 kilogram seed per hectare is required.
For grain purpose- 20-25 kilogram per hectare of seed is required.
Planting material Treatment-
The seeds are treated with thiram or captan at the rate of 2 gram per kilogram of seed before sowing. Rhizobium culture is also used to treat the seeds at the rate of 10 gram per kilogram of seeds.
Best seed varieties for Black eyed bean Farming.
Arka Mangla- This variety produces nearly 4 m tall plants with an average yield of 25 tonnes pod per hectare.
- Pant lobia -1- It grows well in Delhi and Uttar Pradesh states. It is widely cultivated for grain purpose.
- Kashi chandan- This variety is suitable for cultivation in Uttar Pradesh.
- Russian giant- this variety is suitable for growing in the Kharif season for fodder purpose.
- C-88- this variety yields up to 20- 35 tonnes per hectare. It is mostly cultivated for fodder purpose.
Best cultivation practices for Black eyed bean Farming.
- Apply pre-emergence herbicide such as pendimethalin at the rate of 1 kilogram per hectare to control weed growth.
- Mulching should be practised in the field to avoid water loss and maintain soil temperature.
- Spray Quinalphos at the rate 2 ml per litre of water to control pod borer and hairy caterpillars.
- To control aphids and jassids spray dimethoate 30 EC @ 1.5 ml per litre of water.
- Do not practice cultivation in areas where sunlight is available for less than 6 hours.
- Do not overwater the field.